The Most Common, Devastating Disease You’ve Never Heard of.

Via Shannon Cohn
on Dec 11, 2015
get elephant's newsletter

Volkan Olmez/Unsplash

I first felt the pain at 16.

I would have excruciating cramps that rocked my world each month when I started my period. Instead of going to school, I would curl up with a heating pad on my stomach.

The pain was so intense at times I would have hot flashes, then dissolve into a shivering, sweaty mess on my cold bathroom floor. I went to my pediatrician who said it was “normal.” He said it was part of being a woman, I was just having a harder time than others.

Maybe I was exaggerating to get out of school? (wink wink)

A decade passed and I endured the same pain each month. I scheduled exams and work demands around my cycle, loading up on painkillers when I couldn’t avoid it. I graduated from college and law school. The pain started to appear more, not just during my period. I visited more doctors—well-known GI specialists, OBGYNs, internists, urologists—who found nothing wrong. I was the picture of health, they said. It was psychosomatic.

Maybe I should try yoga, meditation, massage.

I should just relax and enjoy my 20s.

Right.

I was working in a Liberian refugee camp in west Africa when a switch flipped. A whole new set of GI symptoms entered the picture with a vengeance. Bloating, gas, cramps, nausea.

I stopped eating. I flew back to the States and doctors ordered countless tests—parasites, malaria, TB, HIV, pregnancy, CAT scans, MRIs, scopes. They drew 21 vials of blood in one day. Everything came back normal and the doctors were dumbfounded. I was relieved, but I had no answer. Neither did they. Yet I could actually see something was wrong.

My stomach was painfully distended and sensitive to touch. I literally felt on fire from the inside, a walking inflammation.

Not long after, I had surgery to remove an ovarian cyst and, as an afterthought in surgical recovery, the gynecologist told me that she saw endometriosis.

That was the first time I had heard the word.

I searched online and found a definition as “a condition when uterine tissue grows on other organs and causes pain and infertility.” I thought—Finally. It doesn’t sound great, but at least it’s an answer. However, my doctor told me that endometriosis doesn’t cause those symptoms.

It must be something I was eating.

So I became a “trial by fire” alternative medicine expert, desperate to find relief. I tried everything. Hello gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, paleo, modified yeast-free diets. Hello yoga, meditation, acupuncture, Reiki, herbs, painkillers, BC pills, IUD, castor oil packs, coffee enemas (details securely filed under “don’t ask, don’t tell”) and so many more.

Some things worked well, some not so well. So I sucked it up and powered on.

I married and started film school at NYU. After a miscarriage, I visited a gynecologist near campus for a checkup. By this point, I was in near constant pain and lived in yoga pants and t-shirts (anything else hurt too much). She listened to my symptoms and scheduled laparoscopic surgery immediately. An anticipated one-hour outpatient procedure turned into eight hours and a five-day hospital stay.

I had Stage four endometriosis. My bowel was fused to my left ovary and uterus and my pelvis was full of endometriosis lesions, adhesions and scar tissue. The surgeon excised the endometriosis, a surgical technique that entails cutting the lesions out meticulously, rather than burning.

Almost immediately, I felt a difference.

I had no pain for the first time in 14 years.

I’m one of the lucky ones.

An estimated 176 million women and girls around the world have endometriosis, a disease historically dismissed as “period pain” or “women’s troubles.” Yet, it’s so much more. It’s a systemic disease that involves both the immune and endocrine systems. Although no one really knows the cause, new research suggests that genetics, stem cells and environmental toxins play a role.

It’s now been over 20 years since I first had symptoms and women still see an average of 8 doctors for 10 years before they’re diagnosed. They’re told (erroneously) that pregnancy and hysterectomy are cures and that pain is normal or in their heads. During that time, many are forced to abandon dreams of having children, to leave careers they love and to watch their personal relationships suffer. The majority of doctors are egregiously misinformed and offer hormonal medications with horrendous side effects and ineffective surgery as treatment.

It’s unbelievable really. Why are we not more outraged? How do we stop the madness?

We change it by becoming experts on our disease and our bodies. Where there’s education, empowerment follows. We change it talking loudly and often. About our “below the waist” problems.

Our periods. Our pain.

We change it by getting good and pissed, by being angry enough to stand up, speak up and demand better care.

We change it by taking the power in our hands.

Only then will this vicious cycle stop.

References & further reading:

Rogers PA, et al. Priorities for endometriosis research: recommendations from an international consensus workshop. Reprod Sci 2009;16(4): 335-46.

Adamson GD, et al. Creating solutions in endometriosis: global collaboration through the World Endometriosis Research Foundation. J of Endometriosis 2010;2(1):3-6.

N.Sinaii et al. High rates of autoimmune and endocrine disorders, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and atopic diseases among women with endometriosis: a survey analysis. Hum. Reprod. (2002) 17 (10):2715-2724.

Painter JL, et al. Genome-wide association study identifies a locus at 7p15.2 associated with endometriosis. Nat Genet 2011;43(1):51-4.

Sasson & Taylor. Stem Cells and the Pathogenesis of EndometriosisAnn N Y Acad Sci. 2008 Apr; 1127: 106–115.

Environmental Toxins. Guo S-W, et al. Reassessing the evidence for the link between dioxin and endometriosis: from molecular biology to clinical epidemiology. Mol Hum Reprod 2009;15(10):609-24.

Endometriosis Foundation of America.

Nnoaham KE, et al. Impact of endometriosis on quality of life and work productivity: a multicenter study across ten countries. Fertil Steril 2011;96(2):366-373.

Relephant:

Lessons From My Polycystic Ovaries.

Best description for a period, ever.

~

Relephant Bonus!

~

Author: Shannon Cohn

Editor: Renée Picard

Image: Volkan Olmez/Unsplash // Andrea Rose/Flickr

About Shannon Cohn

For over a decade, Shannon Cohn has produced award-winning feature films and TV series for Discovery Channel and NatGeo. Before that, she practiced law and was part of the legal team that prosecuted Enron. She went to film school at NYU and law school at Vanderbilt.

That’s what she’s done, but not who she is. She’s a wife, a mother, a daughter. She’s a woman who lives with endometriosis. Her new project, Endo What, aims to put power in the hands of women and stop that cycle.

Follow her on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Comments

24 Responses to “The Most Common, Devastating Disease You’ve Never Heard of.”

1. Jenny says:

Thank you for sharing this. I have PCOS which has it's own set of unwanted problems that come with it, that most can't see the pain it causes. As of this past year I have had more cramps with my period and am fearing that I may also have endometriosis, at this point I am not really sure what I should do. I thank you for writing this article and informing others of disease.

2. Sarah says:

I think my 19 year old daughter is suffering from this so I have taken her to four different gynos, one that is a specialist and they all say they can’t find anything wrong.

I had a family doctor tell my she thought I had it at 16 amd she put me on birth control pills which seemed to help and then the years of birthing and nursing seemed to keep it away and then it came back and I took pills again until I could stand taking them anymore. I had an ablation for the heavy bleeding and My pain is far less now but I’m also 48.

I think both my mother and mother-in-law had it too. So now I think my daughter has it and she’s tried four different birth control pills with no success.

I guess I should keep searching for a doctor who will look further. Agh!

3. Donna says:

I had a complete hysterectomy in my late 30’s because of this….best thing I ever did. Thank God I already had two darling littles girls.

4. Lorra says:

Hey Jenny, you should reach out to my friend Hannah, she helps people heal PCOS! http://www.moredailyraw.com/about/

[email protected]

🙂 Good luck, love.

5. al lovewild says:

hows her diet? get her off bread/milk/ birth control…. have her eat mostly living raw foods, shes got a body of light, feed her the light 😉

6. Sophia says:

Wow! Thank you for sharing your story. I too have story but not nearly as long as yours. I had seen 4 doctors in 5 years that told me the pain was normal. And then I got lucky. I was 19 when a doctor introduced the idea to me. He took all the necessary measures before surgery. When none of it helped and my symptoms became worse, he put me under the knife. I had stage 3 endometriosis at 19. In the 7 years of having a period, it managed to get that bad. I am so grateful for landing the hands and heart of a knowledgeable and actionable gynecologist.

7. Canyonvue says:

I had what might have been it when I was a teenager up until I was married. Periods so painful that I’d almost faint, I’d curl up in a ball and want to die,, and I’d throw up. Debilitating pain. I heard that childbirth might cure it, that it sort of scrapes you clean, and unlike what you said, it did. I haven’t felt that pain ever since, and I have to tell you that’s a massive blessing.

8. kate says:

My period pain became crippling and debilitating at 14, exactly the same hot flushes curled up in agony. Full of painkillers and absent from school. Countless doctors told me for years it was just my age and I would grow into it. Finally after much pushing an endoscopy revealed endometriosis. After year of hormone therapy (including a forced chemical induced menopause during my first year at college) with no relief I asked about laser ablation. I was told I couldn’t have this treatmenta I needed to deal with the pain or get a hysterectomy – I was 19!
    Luckily my parents could afford to send me for private treatment, I had laser surgery that removed 93% of the scar tissue. I got my life back, I have also gone on to have 2 children
    Keep fighting your good fight, it is so important that other women don’t endure the years of he’ll that we did!

9. Erin Devereux says:

After about 15 years of testing, doctors and being told it could be this or that after relocating to Boston I finally saw a OBGYN who diagnosed me. Taking BCP that’s same consistent level & never skipping a week has helped my symptoms disappear. Hopefully diagnosis is less of a run around today. I can remember test after test and feeling as if I was being pushed aside.

10. Penny frg says:

thank you for this article, it’s exactly what I have lived since 12 years old. I was 29 when diagnosed. Endometriosis is so miss understood! With meditation, proper diet, therapy and good doctors my life changed. But it is a never ending story. And your husband suffers from it too. There’s so much to learn yet. I hope doctors become more aware of the suffering and impact it has on our lifes. We are frequently called “hysterical” and that it is psychosomatic but no empathy even from doctors! It’s not only about infertility -witch is terrible – but also about the quality of life we have. Talking about this and spreding word about the symptoms and treatments contributes to the better understanding of what happens to us, and that PAIN IS NOT NORMAL. Good luck and thank you for this!

11. Jeannine King says:

Took doctors (female doctor too) years to diagnose me, only when I ended up in A & E due to complications of endometriosis was I diagnosed…that was twenty five years ago. You would think today there would be more knowledge, help and understanding in the medical world. My heart goes out to anyone suffering any “silent disease” as you may look fine on the outside but be suffering on the inside x

12. Tracy Rowe says:

it’s odd, by the end of the first sentence the first thing that came to mind was “that’s endometriosis”. I would like to say I don’t understand why this disease isn’t more widely known, but after all, it is a woman’s disease so of course not given as much attention.

13. Val says:

I had the same horrific cycle when I was younger. As I got older I discovered that my horrible diet in my teens and certain times in my twenties greatly exacerbated my endometriosis which, I guess, fueled my crippling, painful periods. Diet is huge in how our bodies feel.

14. Sue says:

All you commenters really impress me. You are so concise, so seemingly squared away in dealing with the issues you face. I’m sorry, but I can’t be that way. I’m still too angry about how I was treated for so long. Your comments bring back horrible memories for me!

I am saddened and yes, totally ticked off that women are STILL dealing with this. If endo or PCOS were diseases that affected men, they would’ve been cured by now! I am now in my late sixties, have been post menopausal for over 12 yrs and still have endo; also PCOS, which was not diagnosed until about a year ago. Who knew you could have either at this age? For those willing to read it, my story is below.

My problems started at age 12 with my first period. Like all of you I saw doc after doc, was told to stop complaining, to get counseling, sent for psychiatric treatment for depression etc. My life was absolute HELL for all of my young adulthood — a total loss for me. Because of my periods I couldn’t play sports, travel or maintain a regular work schedule, so I lost my career, for which I had attended college for over 5 yrs. Because of endo, and maybe PCOS too (although I didn’t know it at the time), I was not able to have children, and now of course, no grandchildren. I find that not having grandchildren actually hurts worse than when I couldn’t conceive. This damn disease destroyed my life! And through most of those horrific years I also had to deal with highly trained but poorly educated, impatient, know-it-all doctors who wrote me off as a nut job. I cannot express how much worse the medical so-called professionals made this for me. To this day I do not trust them, NONE of them, and never will again.

My first period lasted 3 months, and that set the tone for the rest of my reproductive life. By the time of my fourth period, by then at age 13, my periods were lasting only a week and a half or so, but things quickly worsened until by time I was out of high school I was already having problems holding a job due to the complications I had to deal with every month. Things got worse slowly but steadily through by early twenties and then really got bad in my thirties. For most of that time I didn’t know what was wrong, only that it was getting worse and worse. I bled through several boxes of the heavy duty post-childbirth (super thick) sanitary pads each month (bought them by the case) until I was in my late thirties, and then even those weren’t enough. Literally everything revolved around managing my “problem” which grew into a monster that tore up my life for two, then two and a half, weeks every month — gripping, cramping pain that affected everything from the waist down, even my feet, and so intense I vomited; could NOT stand up straight and had to stay curled up; intense sensation of heavy, hot rocks in my low belly so bad I couldn’t even wear panties; diarrhea, migraine headaches, flushing/fever, asthma attacks, palpitations, chills, fainting, and by about age forty, bleeding that was so heavy I literally could not leave the house for days at a time.

Finally, around age 40 or so, a doctor who “always wanted to try one of those laparoscopic surgery procedures” decided he’d have a look. He said my entire pelvis was so covered in scar tissue that he couldn’t see a thing and that the only thing that could’ve caused it was untreated gonorrhea. I knew this couldn’t be possible as I’d never had any STD, but he wouldn’t believe me, and I actually had to go through the testing to prove him wrong. Needless to say, my husband had lots of questions about that! At my last visit with that idiot doctor he lectured me on promiscuity – a lifestyle that was completely outside my moral code, and one I had never engaged in. As I said, it was my last visit with him.

It took several more years before I could get another doctor to do another laparoscopy. This one knew more and recognized what was really wrong with me right away. By then I was in my forties. He performed laser surgery to sever the scar tissue that was by that time binding together ALL of my internal organs, and even binding them to my pelvic wall and to the psoas muscles which were so inflamed and contracted that they had pulled my spine forward into a sway backed posture that I could not straighten out. By the time he treated me I was way past stage 4, infertile, ruined. I rejected his suggestion that I have a total hysterectomy because by that time I had so many endo lesions all over my pelvis that a hysterectomy seemed pointless. After all, they couldn’t remove the contents of my entire pelvis, and besides, I had learned by then that the uterus and ovaries produce heart-protective hormones even late in life, and I wanted to keep them. I also had a number of friends who had taken the surgery in the hope it would cure them, and it had not. So I took a course of Danazol (sp?) an anabolic, masculinizing steroid for nearly a year to try to ‘starve’ the endo out of existence, and nearly died from it. My body never fully recovered from that, but it did knock the endo back somewhat. From there on it was managed using laser surgery every year or two, until menopause, which was my salvation — as long as I don’t take HRT. Even low dose estradiol causes symptoms of the endo to return.

During all of this, I was never offered treatment for pain, no dietary advice, no support whatsoever. What I learned about endo, I learned entirely on my own. I still truly hate those doctors who ridiculed me, accused me of malingering to get out of work, insisted it was all in my head, and even told my husband that nothing was wrong with me, that I just wanted attention. If I had to choose whether the pain from the endo was worse, or the psychological injury done by the docs was worse, I would have to call it a tie.

If you can stand a little more info I will share a most appalling story with you — an awful event that at least finally brought home to my husband what I had been trying to tell him about how my doctors had treated me. I bet many of you will relate to this. Late one night, I think it was about day 12 of my period, sometime in my mid-forties, I had a very bad endo attack, much worse than usual. I couldn’t sleep the pain was so bad, so I was up alone. It got so bad that it actually became thinkable that if I cut my own uterus out the pain would be less. I was crawling into the kitchen to begin the procedure when my husband woke up and found me. Later he told me that I was hyperventilating from pain and very, very pale and clammy, but was perfectly calm, had thought it all through, and that I explained to him exactly how I was going to do it without killing myself. (By that time, believe me, I knew everything there is to know about the anatomy of the female pelvis!) All l remember is that the thought of the knife cutting me seemed like it would be less painful than what I was enduring.

So for the first time ever, my husband took me to the ER where I saw the GYN doc on call. He talked down to me in front of my husband, said I just needed to toughen up, but the nurse recognized that I was nearly out of my mind with pain and she basically ordered the doc to provide pain medication. So he reluctantly ordered IV demerol. The nurse was unable to find a vein because I was in so much pain my peripheral circulation had shut down. They stuck me over 30 times in arms legs and feet and could not find a vein through which to give me the med, so finally they gave it IM. Meanwhile the doc had left the room in a fit of aggravation. After the shot, the pain began to subside and I began to relax, and all those places they had stuck me suddenly started bleeding, and there was blood everywhere. The sight of all the blood, and of the nurse trying to manage it all on her own upset my husband and he demanded that the doctor come back in. So in comes the azzhole of a doc, thoroughly irritated to be called back in. He takes one look at the blood all over the floor, asks what happened, rolls his eyes and makes a snide comment about it and, … wait for it…, apologizes to my HUSBAND because of the inconvenience I had “caused.” His exact words were, ” Mr. _____, I’m really sorry you had to go through all this tonight and see all this blood. These women with endometriosis can really be hard to live with. I know I’ll probably see you back in here again now that she knows she can get the pain med here.” He said that right in front of me! After we were in the car on the way home, my husband wept and told me how sorry he was that he had never believed me when I told him how badly I hurt and how cruel and disrespectful the doctors were. It was almost worth it to hear him say that.

So here I am, an older lady, still dealing with symptoms associated with PCOS, for which I was treated (successfully) for nearly one year with Alcactone, but had to stop taking it when my kidneys failed. My hair has fallen out, I’m growing a beard, I can’t lose weight, my cholesterol and blood pressure are too high, my thyroid is slow, I have “senile” acne, a hoarse, male-sounding voice, etc etc etc. I now realize that there will be no rescue or cure for me. At leastat this age, most of my physical pain from the endo is gone.

If you are a young woman dealing with endo or PCOS, make sure you find a doctor somewhere who can actually think and who will examine your thyroid as well, and if necessary, treat it instead of treating just your lab results. You probably will have to find an ND for this, because the MDs are essentially worthless in these situations. In my experience occasionally you might find a DO who will be a better bet than almost any MD. Learn all you can about these conditions and be sure you get the genetic testing done to see if that is a factor for you. Look up Bruce Lipton’s work on Youtube and really think about what he has to say. I have come to believe he is on to something, and you may find help there. Whatever treatment you can find, you almost certainly will have to alter your diet and lifestyle because they seem to play a significant role in these conditions. The upside to dealing with all that and the sense of deprivation you might feel is that you will be much healthier than your peers very soon after starting an improved diet and lifestyle. This will pay off in later years in ways that you cannot yet imagine. Find a support group, think for yourself, keep the faith, support each other and don’t let the MDs get you down.

15. Jen says:

I did some research on Shannon, the woman who wrote the piece. She's directed a film on Endometriosis called EndoWhat? Looks like it is supposed to come out in the beginning of next year. You can find it on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/EndoWhatFilm
    There is a lot of really good conversation going on there right now. So many people are writing in with stories just like yours. Maybe this film will bring all this to light. I had no idea it affects so many people.

16. artemis133 says:

I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

I had a total hysterectomy at age 40; my doctor at the time, while conducting a regular physical, grabbed my swollen tummy and said "what's this?". I said, "my stomach", and he said he didn't think so and sent me for some tests. I had a huge fibroid tumor (benign), along with endometriosis. That surgery helped; I wish I'd had it done earlier.

When I was younger, I'd had pain so severe that I'd punch myself in the stomach to try to get it to subside, to no avail.

Thank you for posting your experience.

17. Shannon says:

Hi Sue, I'm really sorry to hear what you've gone through. I'd love to speak further about your experience with endo, can you please email us at [email protected]? Many thanks – Shannon (author of this article, Director of EndoWhat?)

18. Heidi says:

your years of horrifying experiences are beyond appalling, sue. try to find it in your heart to forgive the “doctors” for they are beyond ignorant & have no right to practice (yes, easy for me to suggest you forgive them!)

19. michelep says:

I had many of these experiences that, after 5 d&c's, several Laparoscopies, having my tubes tied and eventually ablation I ended up with post tubal ligation ablation syndrome. It never ends. This being a woman thing is brutal.

20. Amy says:

I suffered from endometriosis for years before I was diagnosed. Scar tissue was so severe by the time it was discovered, I was forced to have my uterus and left ovary removed…at 33. I was devastated at the thought of not being able to have any more children, though I had already been blessed with two beautiful children. Had my previous doctors taken my complaints of severe pain and cramping more seriously early on, my outcome may have been different.

21. sewsable says:

I too had endometriosis for years, basically I had severe pain at the beginning of my period from day 1 (14 years old), my GP put me on the pill at 15 which was blissful when I got to avoid the occasional period. When I was 21 I had a laparoscopy to check for endometriosis, they didn't find any but this was 24 years ago now and it would have been there, just not the obvious version.
    About 6 months after that I added bowel issues to the pain, diarrhea prominent IBS was the diagnosis and I started taking loperamide on a regular basis to control that so I could continue working. In my 30's I had 2 children and in my late 30's started having issues with constipation and my cycle changed to longer periods with shorter breaks in between. Had a colonoscopy which found nothing so continued on.
    A while ago I started bleeding when having a bowel motion from time to time, no pain but quite a lot of blood, no reason found aside from piles apparently. I ended up demanding another colonoscopy which was done in August of last year which found some "prominent mucosal folds" which were unusual but came back cancer free. The bowel specialist ordered an MRI and then another one when the first didn't show him what he wanted to see, at this point I was very glad I have health insurance as otherwise I would have been using the public system here which probably would have sent me on my way when nothing cancerous was found.
    The second MRI showed a lot of endometriosis, to the point where they diagnosed me as stage 4 without actually having gone in and had a look. I did some research and made an appointment to see a local surgeon who specialises in excision. He recommended a hysterectomy as my uterus was overlarge, keeping the ovaries and he said we'd need a colorectal surgeon.
    I've now had the surgery, all the endo has gone, one small patch had to be lasered, hoping that doesn't come back, uterus has gone as well as 4" of bowel that was almost completely blocked due to endo growing into the walls. I suspect that the assumption was made by all my doctors over the 20 years that as I'd had a lap it couldn't be endo; they were very, very wrong. I don't blame them, it was probably a reasonable assumption to make, but it did result in some very serious surgery being needed and the loss of one ovary which couldn't be saved.
    I'm almost 8 weeks post-surgery and definitely feeling better, I have something approaching normal bowel function for the first time in 20 years and despite the post-surgery pain it's still less than I had monthly.

22. Rhonda Mcconahy says:

I had this disease and it was so bad every time I had sex the bed was filled with blood! And I had so much pain that I hated, HATED having sex because I knew I would be in dire pain for hours afterwards, Yet my husband swore it was all in my HEAD! After several Doctors, my girfriend finally recommend her Gyno, a specialist and a sweet kind mand who rushed me in even and put me on his table for an exam. As soon as he put his fingers in to examine me the table filled with blood. He knew I was in trouble. I knew it was trouble. I cried while he held me, telling me he would "fix me".I only had one child, I had dreamed of 3 at least 2 but whatever. He did the scraping. It grew back at a rate he had never seen. He said he was afraid I would end up with ovarian cancer if he didnt remove everything. So he put me on Luprene shots, making me go into early mentopause at 35, and at 36, I had a complete Hystorectomy..It was the best thing that ever happened after years of pain. ell, besides the facial hair, lmao

23. sylvie says:

Well. Actually, although many will protest this, not believe it, get angry and aggressive- this condition just like most others- is caused by bad diet and environmental toxicity that begins early in life, and endo symptoms are just an expression of that. If , since childhood, you have been fed a diet of grains, sugars, processed foods, soy products, and soy, canola or other bad oils that all are highly inflammatory, toxic and overload the liver, it’s almost given you will have endometriosis. Add the toxic scents from every soap, detergents, perfumes, shampoos etc. that mimmick estrogen. Your body become quickly estrogen dominant and overloaded liver can’t balance the hormones. To repair this is to repair the diet and remove any chemicals from the surroundings. It will take some time but that is the way. That’s why you won’t find any help from gynecologists lol, they are not taught to find root causes, so you will always hear the bs phrase ‘the cause is unknown’. If you know how the human body functions you will know the cause. They can only offer to cut it all out and have you convinced that’s t only solution.
    Anyhow, the moment you change what you eat you will see you feel the difference fairly quickly, depending how advanced your endo is of course.
    So zero: grain free, sugar free, add fat in the diet and probiotics.
    Remove anything scented and chemical from your environment.
    And unfortunately it has to be ZERO of the above offending foods and scents. The smallest amount will set you back immediately.
    The body has an incredible self-healing ability when offending substances are removed.

24. Sheila says:

All of your stories are identical to mine…7 surgeries later, with a complete hysterectomy, appendectomy, mindful diet and daily yoga, I am pain free. My doctor, Ceana Nezhat is a world renowned expert here in Atlanta. He saved my life and restored my faith in the medical profession. If you are still dealing with this awful disease. I highly recommend you seek him out.