Gisele Bundchen: Synthetic Sunscreen is Poison.

Via on Feb 6, 2011

“I cannot put [such non-organic sunscreen] poison on my skin. I do not use anything synthetic.” ~ Gisele Bundchen

For more: > How Much Faith Do You Put in Your Sunscreen?

Sunscreen vs. Cancer vs. Vitamin D ~ via Ryan Wanger.

She’s one of our green crush heroines, having come out with a natural, organic-ish line of bodycare called Sejaa—so you could say that after a decade of hawking Nivea and wearing whatever crap on her face and body that she had to for whatever modeling gig, she’s learned the hard way.

And, she’s shown before she’s happy to put strong words out there, just a bit too plainly. We don’t mind—her latest statement has made headlines and, for many, this may be the first time we’ve learned that conventional sunscreens, non-organic, are just chemicals.

And chemicals are poison: it’s little coincidence that as the use of toxins (a fancy word for poison) in every day life have increased markedly since WWII, so has…

…cancer.

[galleria]

About Waylon Lewis

26 Responses to “Gisele Bundchen: Synthetic Sunscreen is Poison.”

1. Laura says:

Can you recommend some good ones

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Waylon Lewis, Red Fox. Red Fox said: Gisele Bundchen: Synthetic Sunscreen is Poison. http://bit.ly/dLvM2L [...]

3. elephantjournal says:

Nice to see Gisele , incredible NATURAL beauty, speaking up for health and eco-mindedness. I have always felt repulsed by the chemical baths of sunscreen and insect repellents. People slather the noxious mix all over their thirsty pores and do not think that in wearing ''protection'' they are pouring toxins into their systems…putting themselves at greater possible risk than the skin cancer they fear.

4. joshua onysko says:

ha! "her" new line is neither natural or Organic…

• elephantjournal says:

What is in it that's bad? ~ Waylon

• Lauren Snow says:

Why do you use Phenoxyethanol in your products?

In 2008, even the FDA had to release a warning about a nipple cream containing Phenoxyethanol called Mommy's Bliss advising consumers to avoid the product due to its inclusion of this ingredient. According to the FDA:

“Phenoxyethanol is a preservative that is primarily used in
        cosmetics and medications. It also can depress the central nervous
        system and may cause vomiting and diarrhea”.

And if I want to get very technical and/or picky – I would dispute any
        claim that a product is "all-natural", "totally natural" or "100%
        natural" if this ingredient is in the product because Phenoxyethanol is, without question, a synthetic chemical – most definitely not found in nature.

• Lauren Snow says:

Gisele's line contains: Phenoxyethanol. I actually posted the above blurb on the facebook page and received no response. Her statement at the top of your article, "…I do not use anything synthetic.” ~ Gisele Bundchen – must imply that she does not use her very own skincare line. Phenoxyethanol is synthetic.

5. Doreen says:

This has always been my contention. With increased use of sunscreen we have seen marked increase in skin cancer. For the first generation we could claim lack of sunscreen but the new cases showing up in younger and younger patients of the SPF generation, I am concerned. This has not stopped us from using sunscreen because there was no real alternative. I am glad their are companies focusing on more natural products. We have used Kiss My Face as an alternative to traditional sunscreens but it still has chemicals in it.

6. Pamela says:

Some of the increased cancer must be associated with the wrong use of the sunscreen itself. The real alternative to not getting burnt is to cover up and not go in the sun. Sunscreen at best only last two hours. So if you put one on in the morning and expect it to still work in the afternoon it isn't going to. A sunscreen of factor 15 applied every two hours is more effective than a factor 60 applied once. There could be some self deception, like people who jump into cars with air bags and think that they will automatically walk away from a car crash.

There is a new product on the market which is said to be a once application – now that does worry me, what on earth is that made of?

I am a fan of fake tan – for girls younger than myself, at least they are not baking to go that colour, but it makes you wonder what on earth is in those as well. Scary that we should have an increase in skin cancer with SPF, very scary.

7. elephantjournal says:

#
    Kasia C: IMHO …Best sunscreen SP30/moisturiser on the the planet is Devita solar protective moisturizer spf 30+…all natural and wickedly beautiful to use! The skin on my face drinks it up.

#
    Carol: is this not the worst trick of modern living, the sun which provides essential nutrition that prevents cancer is blocked out by carcinogens for years, cuz they knew more than nature.

#
    Joshua Scott Onysko ‎"her" meaning the stuff made by a marketing company and giving her millions for her pretty face, is neither natural or organiish….most celebs are just sell outs….at least she has her looks…

#
    Rebecca P: Whether or not this is true, I won't even click the link. What the hell does a freakin' super model know about the sun, cancer and carcinogens, and more importantly, why on earth would I listen to her?!

#
    elephantjournal.com Rebecca, she's probably spent more time on the beach, wearing less, than most of us! You could call her an expert from that pov. And I think the fact that she's putting it out there that conventional products are toxic is a good thing!

8. Pamela says:

Thanks for that, I had never even heard of devita – but I'll be giving that a go this summer.

9. Beth says:

This should be linked to the photoshop article……who has a thigh like that?????????

10. elephantjournal says:

a day later we see retractions

11. April Sun says:

Unfortunately Gisele is right: NIH panel links Vitamin A in sunscreen to skin tumors http://bit.ly/hzl2Lu

In saying that, not all sunscreens is bad. Most of them are but not all of them. For a list of sunscreens that can be considered safe to use visit the EWG website here:
    Best Beach & Sport Sunscreens | EWG's 2010 Sunscreen Guide http://bit.ly/g3L1yX

12. kay says:

i know an awful lot of people who "tan" in salons. and have for years. i can remember people starting to make regular trips to the things at least 15 years ago.

i currently live in florida and we still have LOTS of places that sell time in tanning beds. and i know LOTS of women and men who buy blocks of the time.

you can't tell me this has nothing to do with the increase in skin cancer cases.

13. Ina says:

Definitely check out soleilorganique {dot} com for a naturally based, paraben-free, vegan, gluten-free, non-toxic and OCEAN REEF SAFE alternative!

14. [...] The types of sun protection that we should all use are Earth and body friendly. We tend to forget that what you put on your body –– lotion, perfume, make-up, etc –– goes into your body –– similar to digesting food. Topical products do not remain on the surface of your skin, they absorb into your skin. So using generic sun protection may protect you from the sun, but it is not protecting you from other harms. [...]

15. So let me get this straight: famous people like her make millions promoting toxic products (bodycare, makeup, etc.) to the general public, especially young women who are easily influenced by the images of "perfect" bodies, and then AFTER making their millions, they say those products are BAD and we should buy THEIR products because they are made with "natural" ingredients, are good for you, etc. etc. This smells of hypocrisy. Why don't they just say "NO, I will not promote Cover Girl, Nivea, etc. because they are toxic, do animal testing, etc?" Stances like this one would promote a REAL image of beauty by showing courage and integrity. But alas, one needs to make them millions and millions first…

16. Megan says:

What concerns me about statements like this is that some people will say "Oh, well, then I shouldn't wear sunscreen." Sun burns are INSANELY dangerous and result in skin cancer. We know that this is a fact. To imply you are better off ditching sunscreen is wrong and misleading.

Honestly, I don't know the issue completely, but if you are going to choose between severe sun damage or using sunscreen with toxins (and lets face it, sunscreen is a very small part of the toxins we intake every day), sunscreen is still the way to go.

17. Juliana says:

Breast job too. I don't mind, just thought it was ironic.

18. Charlotte says:

Thanks! I will look for it. As long as it is a mineral-based product, it should be safe for me. I've learned not to even try any chemical-based ones because my skin's reaction is so severe and long lasting. A good, wide-brimmed hat also helps!