Waylon Really Pissed Me Off…What about you?

Via on Jul 21, 2011
Lululemon Pants
Grateful, as always, to lululemon for the photo

Who does this guy think he is? Did you catch his column, Spiritual Wisdom from an Idiot? He says, “This article goes out to all you spiritual-lite yoga teacher wannabes out there. It also goes out to all the amateur-hour shrinks without degrees who send articles of second-hand impersonal wisdom to elephant.”

1. Last time I checked you were making a living publishing this “second-hand impersonal wisdom.” And here I am sending it in for free. See what happens when I stop sending. I’ll do it. Just test me.
  2. “Yoga: yoga is so important. It’s, like, saved my life.” Well it did. And it will save yours, too. Come to my class and find out how (Full schedule available on my website. Drop-in rate $16.)
  3. ‘My Self. Two words, capitalizing “Self.”’ Do you even get the significance of this? I’ve spent thousands of dollars to develop My Self. I would never spend that money on myself.
  4. Lululemon? Seriously, you’re going to criticize lululemon? Have you seen my ass in those pants?

What made you laugh, what hit home, and what just plain pissed you off? What do you think is the misperception of all of us “who’ve graduated from two week teacher trainings at a local McYoga studio”? What do we do well, and what is truly complete bullshit?

Weigh in below. If you can come up with a response matching the wit of Waylon’s original article, you’ll find yourself published as a featured author on Elephant Journal (and you’ll be the champion defender of spiritual-lite yoga teacher wannabes everywhere). Somebody help me out here … he criticized lululemon!

About Open Yoga Blogging Community

Welcome to Elephant's Open Yoga Blogging Community where you can write whatever you like, and others can comment. Elephant writer Bethany Eanes has generously agreed to serve as discussion moderator. 1) Write your own blogs as comments here. If you already have a blog, you are welcome to cut and paste your best blogs here. 2) To subscribe and get e-mail notices, write a comment or reply, choosing to get e-mail notification for either just replies to that comment, or to all comments. 3) Register with Intense Debate and enter your bio, photo, and links there. This will appear in a pop-up when a reader mouses over your photo. 4) We will excerpt the best entries and discussions in the next week’s Community Blog. Some will become Elephant Yoga articles. --Bob W. Yoga Editor

841 views

Comments

65 Responses to “Waylon Really Pissed Me Off…What about you?”

1. Love this. I've been accused of being Bhagavad Gita lite because I highly recommend the Stephen Mitchell translation over the His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada edition. But, ya' know, if you're deeply into the Gita, any Gita, you're probably already legitimately heavy enough already.

But criticizing lululemon? What's up with that, mon' (I also have deep roots in Reggae.) We've got to set some limits somewhere. Plus, that's damn hard to spell, by the waylon (pun intended.)

Bob W. Yoga Editor
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

2. Ummm.. seriously if that is your ass in those pants then well done, it looks fabulous, the real point of it is, that I hope you did not miss, should we be commercializing the whole yoga industry allowing any one whose ass looks great in Lulu to be a spiritual guide after just 2 weeks of training…and who is really training them, some one else who has had two weeks of training, yikes!, I want my teacher to be just that, A TEACHER, and yes I capitalized that for a reason. A teacher has history and experience to guide you, something after 4 years of practicing myself I am still learning from many yoga instructors and teachers. SO I will keep my teacher and raise you your fine bottom and 2 week instructor. All the best,

3. gretchen says:

LOL, well the yoga i practice has little to do with my ass, and more to do with showing me how to ignore the overrated thoughts of others written in binary code and translated by this box into something resembling wisdom.

4. I learned yoga from a VIDEO!! Long ago before yoga was so in "fashion". I went behind the backs of my strict born-again husband and family to practice something they all considered down-right evil and hid the video in the bottom of my laundry basket when I was finished. It was YEARS before I had the nerve to step into an actual yoga studio. I don't teach yoga (I am a Nutritional Consultant and Lifestyle Coach), but I practice and promote it, every chance I get. Much to the disappointment of my family. OH, and eventually I dumped the husband so I could leave my yoga videos out in the open anytime I wanted! :)

5. Selina says:

Gretchen, In my observation- you are far from ignoring the "overrated thoughts of others… ". I was in the belief that the yogic spiritual practice… beautifully expressed in the spoken exchange Namaste "the divinity in me bows to the divinity in you" is far from present here. Though… you seem to have a pretty clear idea of what wisdom is- or at least recognizing when something "resembles wisdom". So you've piqued my interest… what is your experience of wisdom?

6. Gretchen says:

Selina, wow, you're good! You know that much about me after a one sentence post! I was referring to the overrated thoughts all over the internet. I was laughing as I typed it which you couldn't hear. As for wisdom, my great grandmother said if you want to know about it you have to do it yourself.

Namaste

7. Mandi Millar says:

Ego Ego everywhere! Ego here in this article, Ego there in the one you're upset over! The human in me recognizes the human who gets pissed off in you (and the one in Waylon too). For me, the take away point from his article was "laugh at yourself" and the take away point from this article is "bullying sucks". Both are true, imo.

8. bill says:

Lighten Up-it's Spiritual Wisdom from the Village Idiot savant-AKA Shaman!

9. Selina says:

Gretchen, I apologize for the misunderstanding and jumping to an assumption that you were referring specifically to this article and its responses. Apparently some part of me was triggered- taking sometime to look at that. Its been a day of many many lessons.

10. yogiclarebear says:

"you’ll find yourself published as a featured author on Elephant Journal"

Hooray! So I can pour my heart into meaningful articles (but not really because Waylon probably wouldn't define me as a "deep enough" yogi or spiritualist) that would be trumped on the front pages and in the featured "top" lists by reposts about Stephen Colbert and Sarah Palin, or blog articles about "naked sexy yoga" and a picture of the topic, "10 ways to have better sex with yoga" and a picture of a sweaty and perfectly flat abdominal area, and "how yoga saved my sex life" and a picture of, of course people having sex.

Keep sending in your non-paid-for articles and be put down by Waylon in his diatribe toward what he views as the "yoga wannabes"!

PS Has WL ever taught a yoga class? Where is all this harsh judgment coming from? Is it all a ploy to rile the masses? If so, is it a positive means to an end of…a few extra clicks and some conversation at EJ? Or is there some actual deep resentment toward a certain genre of yoga teacher, brand, or phrase?

11. Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Bob W. Yoga Editor
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

12. contestant 14 says:

oh, the strain, the anger, stuck on sticky pants straining for release, ah this swollen freedom! these feelings bruised purple, such thin cushioned sleeves stuck on a bright nodule, nudging, waiting for that one extra extra-special touch, that brilliant flash of grace! but no, just the anger, the bitter satisfaction of Self success, oh, the pain; if they knew metta like I know metta they’d surely purchase my super dukka scooper, but if they knew me, they’d know to stop saying “namaste” cause all I ever mutter back is, “evam, namo me”

no do me, wait, let go, jibe, patiently 2, 3, 40

Wandering where it will, the elephant of mind,
    Will bring us down to torment in the hell of Unrelenting Pain.
    No worldy beast, however wild and crazed,
    Could bring upon us such calamities.

If, with mindfulness’ rope,
    The elephant of mind is tethered all around,
    Our fears will come to nothing,
    Every virtue drop into our hands.

This rampant elephant, my mind,
    Once tied to that great post, reflection on the Teachings,
    Must now be watched with all my strength
    That it might never slip away

13. Chantilly says:

I find the comments the most entertaining part of this site. I found that the better bloggers are writing elsewhere and find too many posts here self-serving, self-centered and dare I say adolescent. Just an observation as I don’t visit here all that often. Cheers.

14. Dave,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I think you hit it on the head when you said, "Why not see that discomfort as motivation to be more authentic in your everyday life." I hope this is a chain-reaction response to the discussion.

– Bethany

15. Tanya Lee Markul tanya lee markul says:

Just posted to "Popular Lately" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

16. Amanda says:

“Wandering where it will, the elephant of mind,
    Will bring us down to torment in the hell of Unrelenting Pain.
    No worldy beast, however wild and crazed,
    Could bring upon us such calamities.

If, with mindfulness’ rope,
    The elephant of mind is tethered all around,
    Our fears will come to nothing,
    Every virtue drop into our hands.

This rampant elephant, my mind,
    Once tied to that great post, reflection on the Teachings,
    Must now be watched with all my strength
    That it might never slip away”

Let this elephant lead me to water…
    Let this light of clarity
    Drink in
    O

17. Amanda says:

“Wandering where it will, the elephant of mind,
    Will bring us down to torment in the hell of Unrelenting Pain.
    No worldy beast, however wild and crazed,
    Could bring upon us such calamities.

If, with mindfulness’ rope,
    The elephant of mind is tethered all around,
    Our fears will come to nothing,
    Every virtue drop into our hands.

This rampant elephant, my mind,
    Once tied to that great post, reflection on the Teachings,
    Must now be watched with all my strength
    That it might never slip away”

Let this elephant lead me to water…
    Let this light of clarity
    Drink in open vista’s
    And not charade as
    A circus performer
    Trained into submission

I feel the wild
    Expansiveness
    Not harnessed
    By global warming.

18. […] Waylon Really Pissed Me Off…What about you? […]

19. Emily KC says:

Who wrote this original article "Waylon Really Pissed Me Off… What about you" ? Please include the author next time!
    Thank you!

Emily

20. […] Open Blogging Community got a little tense last round. There were a lot of opinions flying around about the content, photos […]

21. DaxBakken says:

lululemon TOTALLY makes your ass look awesome, Waylon.

22. Anyone who criticizes those psycho fuckers over at Lululemon is in my good book.

23. […] Waylon Really Pissed Me Off…What about you? […]

24. hayley says:

i hate lululemon. almost all their clothes are now made in china… we yogis shouldn't stand for that…

25. uggs says:

Great publish, very informative. I’m wondering why the other experts of this sector don’t understand this. You must proceed your writing. I am sure, you have a great readers’ base already!|What’s Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute & aid other users like its aided me. Good job.

26. diablo3 says:

It’s arduous to seek out knowledgeable folks on this matter, however you sound like you know what you’re speaking about! Thanks
    It is best to take part in a contest for among the finest blogs on the web. I’ll advocate this web site!

27. greateacher says:

yoga is so important it saved my life an dit will save yours and Waylon's. I don't write those kind of articles. I jumped into yoga at a tough time in my life and I am blessed for doing so. I jumped in and learned a lot and submit articles about deeper and more meaningful lessons learned. yet, some times I enjoy reading about others lifesw being saved.

28. I’m curious to find out what blog system you’re using?
    I’m having some minor security problems with my latest blog and I would like to find something more safe. Do you have any solutions?

29. Thanks for every other magnificent post. Where else may anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect approach of writing?

I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am on the look for such information.