John Friend is (already) back. Anusara is Dead.

Via on Sep 12, 2012
John Friend with worshippers at his feet

Hatha, the New Anusara?

Attention Anusarians: your leader has finally abandoned the ship…that most of us abandoned long ago.

Anusara? John Friend is now a Hatha yoga teacher.

Click here for some context, update, on the whole silly sad messy trials and tribulations.

After seven months of self-imposed exile, John Friend, the charismatic founder of the once merrie band known as Anusara yoga, is back. Friend has spent his time off recovering from a modestly Guru-sized sex, drugs and rock and roll yoga hangover.

He’s feeling much better now, thank you very much. And he came back to life with a new website, a world tour…and a new set sequence of postures.

And guess what? It’s no longer Anusara! It’s going to be just good ol’fashioned plain old Hatha Yoga.

Of all the parts of the story of the rise and fall of Anusara Yoga that are twisted and sad, the weirdest is this: why would Friend abandon the ship he lovingly built? This might truly be the end of the system.

At one time Anusara yoga had perhaps 1,500 teachers and 600,000 practitioners in the world. Today, perhaps 150 local or regional teachers remain. And followers? They have scattered too. Apparently, some students just want to practice yoga and not be involved with wiccan-related, marijuana, sexual escapades and Shiva-Shakti gobbledygook. Who knew?

The last thing Friend did, right before he turned out the lights on the school he loved, was to certify one more teacher in July. I wonder if Friend mentioned that he was leaving? Um, congratulations, and would you mind please shutting the door on your way out?

To catch you up, Anusara was one of the newest schools of yoga founded by Friend in 1997. Meanwhile, Hatha yoga has roots extending back thousands of years.

Many of the teachers who left Anusara became Hatha yoga teachers, including myself. I felt it was a symbol that I wanted my teaching to go back to the origins of yoga. Now Friend has crashed the party.

Not only has Friend come to Hatha Yoga, he brought the “Universal Principles” with him. Of all the elements of Friend’s history that are lacking integrity, one is that he took physical actions of yoga, and trademarked them under the Anusara name. For example, the inner rotation of Iyengar yoga became Inner Spiral ™ of Anusara Yoga™.

Before the trademark, if you taught students to rotate their leg so the inner thigh moved in, back and apart you could heal their back. After the trademark, you could be sued if you hadn’t paid the licensing fee. Friend maintained that there is a technical difference between the “rotation” and the “spiral,” because as he explained, the spiral just goes on forever, man. You know, like a rainbow.

Part of the teacher trainings included a section where you had to write a paragraph on the differences between a rotation and a spiral. It’s funny, but at no time during that contemplation did I think that was weird! Because a spiral is really cool like a rainbow, it goes forever, and like the Divine it lives inside us, and outside us, and it’s awesome, blah blah blah. I could go on about this, but I don’t want to get unproductive. Maybe there are differences. But the spiral just seems to, you know, rotate.

Like many people, I loved Anusara Yoga. Loved! I wrote a book about how yoga saved my life and particularly many of the teachings of Anusara. When the whole thing blew up, it took so many teachers, students and philosophers with it (not to mention my book, which was three years of my life).

I wish no being harm. I am glad that John Friend feels better. At one point he had a tremendous gift to offer the world, and perhaps with this new set sequence of postures he will again touch students’ lives.

I am curious to see this sequence called “The Roots,” as he once felt that a set sequence was not yoga. During my own process of becoming an Inspired teacher he emailed me to be sure that what I was teaching previously was not a set sequence. It was the one thing he disliked the most.

Wait a minute, I get it! The other set sequences in yoga are just set, like a rotation. But his is fluid, like a spiral! It’s pulsating, and it’s in nature! It’s in the stars, and even in stardust, which is what we’re made of, we’re all a bunch of Divine stars and universal energy, and we’re really, really cool and good and Divine, and practicing a fluid and ever changing set sequence.

Okay, now I did get unproductive. Thank you for indulging me in a sentimental moment brought to you by what is left of Anusara Yoga.

Which, now, appears to be nothing. Like a rainbow.

~

Editor: Kate Bartolotta, Waylon Lewis.

Like elephant yoga on Facebook.

About Michelle Marchildon

Michelle Berman Marchildon is the Yogi Muse. She’s an award-winning journalist, and the author of Finding More on the Mat: How I Grew Better, Wiser and Stronger through Yoga. Her second book, Theme Weaver: Connect the Power of Inspiration to Teaching Yoga, is for yoga teachers who want to inspire their students. Michelle is a columnist for elephant journal and Origin Magazine and a contributor to Teachasana, My Yoga Online and Yoga Journal. She is an E-RYT 500 with Yoga Alliance and teaches in Denver, Co where she is busy raising two boys, two dogs and one husband. You can follow her on Facebook at Michelle Marchildon, The Yogi Muse. You can find her blog and website at www.YogiMuse.com. And you can take her classes on www.yogadownload.com.

134 Responses to “John Friend is (already) back. Anusara is Dead.”

1. cathy says:

You wish no being harm?? And you write this mean-spirited article?

Ok, he did bad things. We have all read long articles here about his demise, scandal and the breaking up of the Anusara system. I htought he gave the whole thing up to some board, but I am easily wrong.. I saw strong leaders survive. I moved on.

I see great intelligence in his deciding to not in any way use the name Anusara in hi steaching now. He let it go to the commtiiee or whomever. He wants to teach again. He knows a lotabout yoga and bodies.

I you to refrain from mean pointed gossip, as all it doe sis create bad vibes an dmush HARM.

• Guest says:

Cathy, just FYI, JF did not give anything up to any board or committee. That is why so many teachers resigned–because John would not work with the teachers to give them any say in the organization, even given his own serious problems.

• gphase says:

So what does it mean that he now distances himself from Anusara? Is he giving it up for someone else to run, or is he leaving it behind to wither and die? Evidently he does not want to be in charge anymore? I've no stake in it myself – just curious.

• Michelle Marchildon says:

I think it means now that Anusara is meaningless and cannot attract new students, he is on to newer pastures.

• malarkey buster! says:

Yep, you are right Michelle. As with his followers, he held on as long as possible to the illusion (that is what anusara always was–an illusion). Once it was clear that it had no more monetary value, he made the decision to check out other pastures. It's the same scum bag though. The reality is that anusara always was built on hype. It hyped itself on "the most rigorous training in the world". That training was comprised of nonsense like your example of explaining the difference between spiraling and rotating. People put up with this kind of horse shit because they wanted the anusara certificate–and then perpetuated the illusion to others once they had it. Ironic that their certificates now aren't worth the powder to blow them up with. It was a great house of cards. It was deep sixed by the fact that many other (much better) training programs became available, that were shorter in duration (and bullshit) and far less expensive. Folks could get a certificate to teach and then start their learning process from practicing and teaching the art (as it should be). Friend's hype fell through. Friend himself has many psychopathic traits. He was, and continues to be, deluded by his own bullshit.

• malarkey buster says:

BTW, Michelle…I think I'm in love with you…

2. KBT says:

This post was great and hilarious (spiral ahahaha)! I didn't get too many mean vibes from it at all… maybe some disappointment. But it was a pretty kind article, considering.

Dear KBT:
      You are obviously enlightened. Congratulations.

• AMM says:

Yes, definitely hilarious! So, is the earth rotating or spiraling on its axis? hmmm The post doesn't seem mean-spirited to me either – I mean how much of someone's work can a person plagerize before it flies back in their face. So, for other yogis to call him out and maybe laugh a little, seems like pretty gentle karma.

3. Robin says:

I’m sure you are perfect, in your perfect world, with your perfect future. Ahmm yeah good luck with that.

4. Bem says:

I think you comments are a bit arrogant and not yogi like. Not very becoming to a person who calls herself a yoga teacher.

• bella says:

have you ever met an anusara teacher before? all pretend happy bubbles and really big egos. this is just how i'd expect pone of them to respond to the pretend happy bubble bursting.

• Lara says:

What exactly is "yogi like"? Do you have a definition of that? Are we meant to only be "becoming" or are yoga teachers allowed their anger, disappointment and feelings like the rest of the world? I applaud Michelle for not pretending "happy bubbles", as Bella states.

• scooter says:

Really???

5. Tom Rapsas tom rapsas says:

Well done, Michelle. I thought you brought some humor and lightness to a subject that is still a pain point for many, while making a very valid argument that what was once gospel now appears to be yesterday's news. Best, Tom

6. If we were teaching Anusara® Yoga, then we were teaching Hatha Yoga. My name is still on the Anusara roster of licensed teachers because I paid my dues when I received the bill in late January of this year. I no longer 'tag' myself as an Anusara teacher. The tags mean nothing. The practice, abhyasa, is everything. The alignment principles are alive and well in my teaching. Along with a whole lot of other tools and methodology. And much to my surprise after 17 years of practicing mostly alignment based yoga, I too have taken up a daily practice that is a set sequence of poses (Ashtanga Primary Series). Not defending John Friend in any way here. Just noting that my teaching and practice of Hatha yoga has always been and will continue to be an evolving practice of Hatha yoga…whether I was or am practicing Mr. Iyengar's method, Mr. Jois's method, Mr. Desikachar's method, Mr. Bikram's method, or Mr. Friend's method, etc. Hatha Yoga is one of the limbs of the vast philosophy of yoga. It is the one that we are most familiar with in the West, and oddly the one that seems most insignificant in India. If we are to continue to 'be yogis' then lets be jnana, bhakti, mantra, raja, karma, AND hatha yogis. Practice and all is cOMing, right?

• Dee says:

Very well said Melanie. I think you have pointed out the most important issue here just in your last few sentences. You are indeed- a true Yogi~
      ~Namaste~

• Barbara says:

So agree and doing the same things right along with you….and more important I believe to be a 'true yogi' than anybody's 'yogi muse'…Namaste to all !

7. S.Y. says:

bravo, yogi muse! funny and fluff-free as always

diehard JF fans will always defend their idol, even when JF no longer wants to have nothing to do with them

-SY

8. Michael says:

I do not know who John Friend is. I am not sure why I am suppossed to care who he is. I have skimmed the numerous (really really numerous) articles that have appeared on EJ about him. Given the volume of venom directed at him I assume that he did something very horrible. I practice yoga. It is at the center of my life. Sometimes I like to read articles or go to classes to see if they have something to enhance my practice. If John Friend does not make your practice better, then I suggest that you not pay so much attention to him. I am not sure how all of the attention lavished on his terrible deeds can help my practice.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

It did not help mine. Time spent commiserating with the Anusaras who were disappointed, was time taken away from developing my own self-sequenced and proprietary, soft power vinyasa yoga practice. Never developed my practice to be much in the way of heart-opening … but there are a ton of other options to explore. Especially with my injuries …

Anyway, I'm over that now. All that sturm and drang helped to finally lead me to pilates, which mat classes I take and which I have fused to my yoga practice. An unchanging sequence? Not really. No two days are the same. No two practices are the same. No one yoga practice feels the same as the one before. You face your yoga and you task that pilates for that day on your mat.

• Isabelle says:

now that was a good reply michael! so so true. there are anusara yoga teachers still practicing and teaching today who are not nearly as concerned as the ones who left in a hurt and holier-than-thou huff – the ones who work as feverishly and transparently as possible to continually proclaim that anusara is dead. it is not true at all and actually this article holds a lot of potential for libel in it. anusara is alive and well and many teachers (way more than 150 as michelle so erroneously reports) are paying their dues and collaborating with ideas for the future of this school. it is however, changed – happily stripped of its more egotistical teachers who acted more like mini-rock stars, traveling all over the world just like john while not being very grounded in a true and meaningful yogic day to day life.

i find the actions of angry ex-anusara folks to be so interesting and so telling. and those current anusara folks who are humbled and just working on their practice and teachings in the face of so much drama and silliness, well, they inspire me to keep striving to really live my yoga no matter how rocky, or petty and vindictive, things get.

to all teachers who just teach their truth and don't go around speaking words of crappy matrika – no matter what style you teach – i applaud you. michelle, it is a shame you are a yoga teacher and even more of a shame the EJ gives you a platform for your high-school like writing.

• Sarah says:

All these replies only serve to glorify the fact that this didn't happen to YOU… only to other more stupid, or more "egoic" or less "yogic" people! The western yoga world is steeped in it's own adolescence. And John Friend was meerly it's extreem poster child. If you think for one minute that this does not reflect on you and "your" yoga then you are quite mistaken. Wake UP! The yoga paradigm, the "guru" paradigm, has to change. This is what needs disscussing in a meaningful way. How can the practice of yoga grow up so that it's wisdom can serve our society in a meaningful and inclusive way?

9. robbie says:

It looks like he's working on "The Roots" based on Desi and Micah:
    ‘The Roots’ asana sequence was originally developed by Desi and Micah Springer in 2004 and was modified by John Friend in 2012. A video of Desi Springer performing The Roots is planned to be released on the Internet this Fall. Also, a book on the Roots by John, Desi and Micah is in process, which will help to bring a lot of attention to this routine within the global yoga community.

10. Marie says:

Really? Still?

11. Lauren says:

Reading some of these comments so far, please don't let anyone shame you into silence with crap like "drama drama drama" or "How unyogi of you" for being critical and demanding that yoga teachers be held to some standard of integrity. I applaud your voice in all of this and I think it's absolutely needed.

As both an activist and a deeply devoted yogi and spiritual person, I think too many people perceive false dichotomies between the need to challenge injustices and the need to have compassion for them. Calling out abuses of power and narcissistic behavior that had direct impact on our lives as Anusara students and teachers are labelled as "drama." EJ readers outside of the Anusara scene report being tired of seeing the endless articles on the matter. We're urged to "let him be." Because it's not good karma? Because good yogis let abusive, exploitative individuals go on without any voice of concern, any bit of honesty about experience? Because good yogis let other yogis find their own truth? I thought we were here to learn from each other, to support one another in our paths, to lift each other up and practice humility? You know what helps me grow? Hearing when I've messed up, and having the courage to face the extent of those effects.

To the yogis that complain about the endless John Friend "drama" : practicing humility entails understanding that these issues have had and continue to have very real effects on thousands of people's lives, and we're going to experience it, process it, and work through it at the rate that we do. Because you can have compassion for someone and wish them growth and goodness on their path and still call out the things they did that were not right and were not okay and believe that it is valuable for people to be aware of these things. Because it is self-entitled crap to feel as if you can define how those that experience trauma should feel about it.

• Michelle Marchildon says:

Thank you Lauren to have the courage to speak up. It's not easy being called "unyogic" and not compassionate just because some of us believe in living with integrity. As far as I can see, John has "borrowed" the set sequence called "The Roots" from the Springer sisters just as he "borrowed" his universal principles from the Iyengar system to put his own imprint on each. I have compassion for him as a human being. I'm not very compassionate about him taking advantage of many unsuspecting yogis looking for a little enlightenment. Not to mention the thousands of yogis who lost a boatload of money on trainings and certifications only to have the whole thing go up in smoke.

12. Auki says:

If you are walking a true spiritual path, a true yogic path, all your shadows must be processed… continually! John Friend gave the USA yoga communities the gift of looking at our own shadows. His shadows are many of our own shadows. This a good article because it helps the yoga communities to keep processing our shadows. The John Friend story must not be swept under the rug where it would fester. It would only be repeated later by a future yoga rock star… probably with more toxic and hurtful results. Thanks for the very useful post, Michelle!

Dear Auki,
      Thank you! I am trying to walk the path, but every now and then I fall down and laugh at myself.

13. MatBoy says:

I hope JF makes a lot of money and becomes really, really, really rich and famous teaching The 'Root' because he seems to be promoting himself again just as before. It seems to me that that is what yoga means to JF. I wish him safe travels and I would advise him to learn how to save money this time around so that the next time the music stops he will have his own chair to sit in.

14. coco says:

oh, you are the one who cant change her facebook status, doesnt know how to get friends on facebook and couldnt figure out how to apply to be a lululemon ambassador by applying?? I am surprised you didnt use some of that backwards humor?? on this new phase of JF's life.

• Michelle Marchildon says:

I am that one! I tried to use some of that backwards humor, but this time maybe I was thinking straight?

15. Jess says:

Very well done!! I appreciated hearing how your direct experience impacted you and I have these own thoughts myself (and have for many years). As far as the "trademark" is concerned, Bikram and Baptiste did the same thing with early teachers who opened up their own studios and training programs and wanted to pass the lineage down. What's really sad and upsetting is that yoga was meant to be used in this way. If a certain sequence worked for someone and healed them, then it was their dharma to pass down such a sequence. Unfortunately, capitalism (U.S. and most of the western hemisphere) reared it's ugly head and it was most likely difficult to discern between spiritual practice and lifestyle path. This kind of disillusionment has been rampant for years as far as I can tell watching yoga studios open, thrive, continue and sometimes close. As truth seekers we have to hold ourselves accountable for the knowledge we possess, what we share, how we share it and know that the practice sought us out for a reason. I have compassion for JF and realize that he's only human. Karma is real and I don't think we need to expedite the process although I understand the need to judge especially when you've been in the middle of the drama. For now, let's just breathe. practice. meditate. Namaste.

16. kzelmoon says:

It is not my place to say or decide what is and is not "true" yoga. However I do have an opinion and I always have trouble with styles of yoga that are created from a human mind rather than spontaneous divine inspiration. Again, who I am to say that Mr. Friend's yoga practices have not arisen in such a way… its just a gut feeling, too much unhealthy ego going on. Trademarks are important for protecting the integrity of the practice, not the identity of the "creator" of the practice.

• evil ego B.S. says:

Um, every piece of yoga actually came from human minds. You think that Krishnamacharya was magikal or something? That he had no ego? That he didn't need an ego to survive in the world? None of our teachers are magical. None of them are above being human. None of them would have survived without an ego. We cannot take John off a pedestal and just put other teachers upon it. In fact, none of them should be on that pedestal.

• kzelmoon says:

"too much unhealthy ego" does not mean no ego. And yes I do believe in magic. Manifestations and such… some of our teachers are magical. Hope you find one, with a healthy ego, that you feel that way about.

• evil ego B.S. says:

The systems that believe in magical/enlightened/higher beings are the systems that are actually creating this elitist, exclusive "I am better than you" bullshit that is rampant in the western yoga community. It is the root of the entire problem here. No one deserves special treatment. No one is more enlightened than another. I'm sorry that your teacher has convinced you of such a belief and that you are letting them get away with it. I see magic; everywhere and in everything. Not just for special people.

Dear Kzelmoon,
      My human mind has always been a problem. But my human body is an even bigger one these days with the extra 10 pounds I gained from eating gluten-free. Thank you for reading.

17. Nina says:

Great article, finally said the whole truth.

18. chang says:

the Denver workshop is $195. who will sponsor me and I'll report backkkkkk….

Tne weekend will coincide with the beginning of Vital Yoga’s Teacher Training – maybe no one will have heard of him

19. chang says:

is wendy still with him or has she stopped sssing his d?

20. Keren says:

I love Elephant Journal. I was so disappointed with MBG when they launched the whole John Friend attack. I thought EJ stood a bit prouder and shared facts rather than spat self-righteous cr@p. I'm a vinyasa yoga teacher. I am not a huge Anusara fan, nor do I really care about John Friend and what he gets up to. I do know some amazing Anusara teachers though who base their teachings on service and community and KINDNESS. This article is bitchy at best, self righteous and hypocritical at worse. I think a quick revisit to the yoga sutras is in order here – ahimsa – or as my Mum says, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

• gGod says:

I think this comment was bitchy and self-righteous… Maybe you should revisit the yoga sutras while we're at it.

• St. Peter says:

Dear gGod:
        I love your name. Is that Good God? Or Gracious God? Or Gorgeous God? Or for Godsakes God? Meanwhile, I will definately let the writer know that she is probably going to Hell for that snarky attitude. Thank You!

21. solar says:

Yep, Anusara teachers were teaching Hatha yoga
    the hole time…With huge fees, trademarks and you named it.
    Once again a pattern… Something we call steeling! Steeling from the earth and the people…What is inspirational about taking other peoples ingredients and changing the packaging. Then, the great white hope comes back in a new episode and reminds everyone that they are free of trademarks because…it’s all Hatha people…i forgot to mention it…oups.
    Master of illusion!

22. K says:

“…. Your article was bitchy!” “No, your comment was bitchy!” “You should read your sutras again, you bad yogi!” “No YOU read them again, check your ego!” “blah blah, quak quack my yoga is more real than yours, I know better than you because of it, therefor can judge just how bad of a yogi you are!”……..

This is all too funny. Just observation, everyone needs to let the venom out from time to time, but I do have to ask, when did Elephant Journal and the yoga community become a high school cafeteria?

• Michelle Marchildon says:

It's true. I've been a very naughty yogi. I've been thinking for myself, I left the Guru-mentality, and I haven't forgiven those who continue to take advantage of others. Om Namah Shivaya.

• Ksd says:

The kool-aid has been un-drunk, and he's bound to feel that backlash forever…… such is life! Our karma can take it's time, or snap back on us like a surprise door in the face. As I said, letting it out is everyone's right – I was far more entertained by the comments and comments to the comments that reminded me of babysitting bickering 5 year olds. For the record, I thought your article spoke with honesty from the point of view of a student of his that is still dealing with feelings surrounding the let-down of a man who happily elevated himself, and I personally think you did so without sounding "bitchy". Honesty of one's feelings can hurt!

• john says:

and you, K, can kiss my ass!

23. darkwing dave says:

The spiral healed my back… go figure. Universal is erm… Universal. Go figure… Shanti everyone, shanti shanti shanti. :P
    I'm from a tiny place called South Africa where we have had a few visiting Anusara teachers bring great benefit to all our practices. I for one am grateful to them for teaching me new things. John Friend is not Anusara. John Friend is not Yoga. Yoga is the thing that teaches us love and forgiveness and tolerance and the limitations of our fallible selves… go figure….

24. James says:

Now would be a good time for all the yoga pundits to stop casting aspersion upon Wiccans. I know they're an easy target for lazy writers looking for a rhetorical device, but it's an actual religion comprised of real people. Slandering a religion, even one you don't understand, is really not cool. The practitioners of Wicca that I've met have been unusually thoughtful and moral people as a rule. I doubt they have any more use for John Friend's behavior than anyone else.

• Michelle Marchildon says:

I agree, and I'm kind of sorry. Please find my column on Elephant Journal where I apologize to all the Wiccans. http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/04/wiccans-ar

• ann says:

but if that article was from april, why did you decide to take a jab at wiccans again in this piece, so long thereafter? i strongly agree with the above post (@james). as to all the rest of it, i'm staying out of the dialogue…

• wicca my ass says:

wicca was a cover for jf. if you want to defend wicca, then you might consider telling jf to stop calling his rituals wicca. friend was dabbling in dark satanism, some of the darkest and using it to cast negativity towards others. in a big way btw. he's getting the blowback from that, and I assure you, it is only the start. mark my words on that…

25. Hash says:

Great article. I didn't see anything particularly mean in it, it just highlighted that all he did was simply reinvent the wheel at other people's expense. I'm sure another JF will spring up soon. Actually, I'm thinking of trademarking my Interior Helix…..

26. NoSnakeoilWithMyYoga says:

I don't know about the world that you live in, but in the world that I live in, no matter what stupid, unethical, boneheaded, immoral or illegal thing that I might do, I still have to pay my bills.

The man is a yoga teacher. As a business man, all he can do, repentant or unrepentant, remorseful or not, is to regroup and move on. What is it that the "yoga community," which eats its own progeny, can reasonably expect of him?

• Guest says:

That's like saying, "this white collar criminal only knows accounting, so let's have him be an accountant again". John should learn how to make a latte, or hammer together a couple of two by fours, or serve food at the local prison.

27. Heather Morton Heather says:

Is this all that surprising? If you know of Amrit Desai…..he shamefully admitted to sleeping with so many followers…..the Kripalu name fell a part briefly…I am not certain they ever recovered…he disappeared to India for a while and reinvented himself a few years later….as a reformed….better informed and informative guru/teacher.

• Kuru says:

Kripalu has become a big-business enterprise since Gurudev left. He brought an unbelievably rich resource for yoga with a unique style that could be incorporated into anyone's teachings. He was sleeping with followers when everybody was sleeping with everybody, and he was ousted when it was popular to blame our incestors, real or imagined. There's a major teaching in that alone. He is a great yogi and teacher.

28. Scott says:

Let him without sin cast the first stone.

29. Roz Lambeth says:

We all fall. Some of us get back up. JF is trying to get back up. I don't view this post as "venom" as some of you have mentioned; I think rather it is this former Anusara teacher recognizing that when JF fell tripped a lot of other people along the way … who are also trying to get back up. This is Michelle's way of getting back up, and moving on. A humorous look at mistakes made by her and her teacher.

30. ria says:

LOL, GOOD JOB !!! thanks for poking a chuckle at this ridiculous invention this egotistical friend dude came up with. He wanted to go head to head with hatha ? wow and look what happened.
    I don't want him to start teaching again ever. He had his chance. I want him to go to India and just sit and meditate for the rest of his life. You never know when again his ego will inflate and another ridiculous blah blah blah new yoga he'll invent.

31. dan says:

surrender, forgive, let go of the pain and it's causes, of striving, of the fruits, and seek love in its most unbound state

32. yogamatt says:

This article is witty and well written. Great job. Hopefully Friend will not be as "friendly" next time.

33. Ariane Trelaun atrelaun says:

I love you, Michelle. And that goes on forever, like a spiralling rainbow. ;> XO

• Michelle Marchildon says:

Ah, Atrelaun, I love you too, like a rainbow, or a unicorn, or a really really cool spiral, like the Divine, which lives inside us, and all around us, and reminds us that we're made of stardust, and that we're really really good, and cool, and probably wiccan. Thank you for indulging me in this moment brought to you by what's left of Anusara yoga.

34. Ed Spyhill says:

"For example, the inner rotation of Iyengar yoga became Inner Spiral ™ of Anusara Yoga™." Anusara Yoga fell apart so quickly. The local Anusara teachers still taught/teach alignment, but the spiritual energy was no longer there during classes. After doing a lot of reading and research I now study with an Iyengar Yoga teacher. It's like I found a true source from which Yoga flows. YMMV

• Michelle Marchildon says:

I get it Ed. I have many friends who are returning to Iyengar, where alignment is alignment and not a spiritual awakening. Namaste.

35. bobcat says:

Funny and true. What a great post. I felt sorry for JF for a minute during the scandal ordeal. Now I believe he is a true douchebag aiming for money, fame and power. If Bikram can make it so can JF. Same formula, real assholes.

36. Alice says:

Love this article….
    For you haters:
    THOSE WHO LIVE IN GLASS HOUSES SHOULD NOT THROW STONES.
    People RELAX. The drama is over. I hope we can all laugh at how silly some things are.

ps Im also a formerly known as Anusara-Inspired yoga teacher…..

37. Jory says:

I love this article. Especially the spiral internal rotation part. Very funny. OM

38. Jill says:

I think (THINK) this was attempting to be satirical. For people not close to the situation of Anusara or still deeply involved in it this article probably came across as bitchy and whiny. As some have mentioned, its important we keep discussing and not sweep the situation under the rug so that we aren't silenced by our "abusers." However, this was not an article of articulate discussion describing power dynamics, but one of mockery of John Friend and Anusara. Whenever anyone mocks another person or value that another has, there will be a harsh reaction (look at what's happening in the Middle East right now). Or as this article would say "blah blah blah."

And I also second the need to stop talking about Wiccans as though they're off-kilter unintelligent people. I know several people who are Wiccan that have stopped going to yoga because of people's backlash about John Friend's wiccan practices.

• Michelle Marchildon says:

Yes, I THINK I was trying to bring a sense of humor to an otherwise sad situation. I TRIED to do this. But, I MIGHT have failed. I will TRY to be funnier next time. But for now, the COMMENTS are handling the funny superbly.

39. isabelle says:

wow michelle, you really seem to have a lot of issues coming up from the not-so-skillful actions of one human being. perhaps instead of making us all sit through your childish processing, you (and so many others still whining about the down fall of ths man) might just seek out the services of a trained therapist, since that clearly seems like the kind of person best equipped to help you (and many others) process to the necessary degree. i mean this seriously as i think it could really help.

there are anusara yoga teachers still practicing and teaching today who are not remotely as concerned with John Friend as the ones who left in a hurt and holier-than-thou huff – the very ones who work as feverishly and transparently as possible to continually proclaim that anusara is dead. saying anusara is dead is not true at all and actually this article holds a lot of potential for libel in it. anusara is alive and well and many teachers (way more than 150 as michelle so erroneously reports) are paying their dues and collaborating with ideas for the future of this school. furthermore, well known teachers who technically are separating from the method are still out there teaching anusara through the end of 2012 because they have to uphold their commitments and previously scheduled events in order to appease the hundreds of students and teachers in training who are wanting to accrue anusara study hours. and, people like sianna sherman, desiree rumbaugh and doug keller, still proudly include being certified in the anusara method as part of their bio, while countless others simply refuse to use the name but are teaching in an anusara style all the time and indirectly helping to promote its effective technique. clearly it is alive and well. it is however, changed – happily stripped of its more egotistical teachers who acted more like mini-rock stars, traveling all over the world just like john while not being very grounded in a true and meaningful yogic day to day life.

i find the actions of angry ex-anusara folks to be so interesting and so telling – anger issues, childhood issues, history of abuse, shame issues, the list can go on and on. and those current anusara folks who are now deeply humbled, have learned a lot from this whole experience, and are just working on their practice and teachings in the face of so much drama and silliness, well, they inspire me to keep striving to really live my yoga no matter how rocky, or petty and vindictive, things get.

to all teachers who just teach their truth and don't go around speaking words of crappy matrika – no matter what style you teach – i applaud you. michelle, it really seems a shame you are a yoga teacher and even more of a shame that EJ gives you a platform for your high-school like writing. seriously, please consider therapy so that you can get freed from all this that clearly is holding you hostage and we can all be freed of this kind of moronic "writing".

Dear Isabelle,
      I will consider therapy. Thank you. For now, I will probably just go shopping as retail therapy is the best kind.

• Guest says:

Sianna Sherman and Desiree took JF/AY off their bios.

I have to say that I find Isabelle's matrika ("moronic", "high-school like writing", "seek therapy", etc) to be way more petty and vindictive than anything written in this blog.

Hey Isabelle–keep striving. Your yoga isn't working.

• Lauren says:

Oh please, we all have issues. Is it productive to use this claim to condescend and dismiss the experiences, the responses, and the opinions of others because they don't happen to align with your own?

Some of us don't want to be part of what we find to be exploitative capitalist yoga guru crap. It is our right to criticize our perceptions of these practices openly, to share our ideas and allow others to consider them for themselves, and you have the right to listen to or ignore any of it and choose your own practice as you wish. Obviously, so does John Friend. No one is rallying to threaten that. But these criticisms are absolutely relevant to modern yoga and its practices within Western culture and are seeds for growth in new directions for many. What's not beneficial about that?

And here we are bickering about appropriate reactions to examining the use of power in a modern Western sect of yoga, yet there are entire groups of Hindus and South Asians that question and challenge the rights of Westerners to appropriate yogic practices in the first place.

If we cannot respect the diversity of ideas, experiences, and view points within yoga culture, then we're doing it wrong. Respect does not demand that you refrain from criticism. But it does encourage that you refrain from attempting to silence or shame others with your own personal mental health assessment. I find your use of language rude not only to the ideas that Michelle (and others) openly stands for in her posts, but to people who live with mental health issues and struggle to have a voice, to be taken seriously, and to be advocated for. I encourage you to examine your own prejudices.

• Guest says:

Wow, Isabelle. Your response is right up there at the top of the "shame dissenters into silence" charts. As the shock waves of the Anusara debacle continue to affect the lives of so many of us, I am finding the following types of statements as common as they are abhorrent: 1) the assumption that speaking truth to power is an indication that someone needs therapy; and 2) the no-doubt-about-it attempt at shaming into silence anyone who might have abuse in their personal history (you were abused? CLEARLY you cannot have a valid opinion on anything!) This kind of response makes me ill.
      a few seconds ago · Like

• wow says:

Probably the snottiest, snarkiest, most superior post I’ve read on EJ in a while. If this Isabelle is the dreck that stayed with Anusara, I will make sure to stay away.

• calamala says:

well, I agreed with Isabelle .. UNTIL.. she began with the you have issues and therefore your article is …just an emotional rant.
        I thought from reading info as it came out that a transition of a group taking over the Ausara name would happen and that commitments would be fulfilled simply without JF's name .. We all have issues.. we are all humen, but discrditing another by swingin those issues at them is in itself an 'issued' action.

40. mary says:

John is a huge douche!

41. [...] which emphasizes postural precision, and its offshoots, such as Anusara; heated, power, and flow yoga; Ashtanga and Bikram yoga. Yoga in fitness clubs. Yoga done to rap [...]

42. Suzette says:

The only question is, "what is this incessant NEED to label and the constant NEED to OWN?' Trademarking and labelling…attention seeking, money making it's all not very spiritual indeed…however, at least we are all practicing. If we were all perfect on this path then there would be no need to be on it…I had never heard of you before Mr. Friend or of Anusara yoga, I guess it wasn't as popular as Bikram…but they will all learn in their own way won't they…Universal laws.

43. strawberrypunnett says:

I can't see through the sarcasm/bitterness to read anything here?

44. MatBoy says:

Balancing the temporal demands of living in our advanced (expensive) society with the emotional feedback from our spiritual compass is a challenge for most of us because getting ahead in life often comes at the expense of our relationships with others. Owning and clinging to our creations, especially if we want to register them and to receive what are referred to as 'monopolistic rents', robs us of our immediacy to the experience of the present moment: we are distracted because we try to preserve our advantages from our creations. From what little I know of JF and the times I've spoken with him, he was always distant and unavailable in the moment, except when talking about furthering the Anusara franchise. That is the game he plays and the price he pays.

He has not settled on a lifestyle that he can naturally maintain; he is still trying to put something together and to get ahead. The problem is, he is in his mid-fifties and no longer has the time to figure out something new or to fail again in a long-term venture. He is probably under pressure to make his 'system' work if he is not going to live in poverty once he can longer work so hard or travel so much. This is a problem many people face.

JF used a lot of 'spiritual mumbo jumbo' to mask his deeper temporal intentions because that is what sold, it is what his customers wanted to hear. I expect to find this in his new teachings again. For those who come in contact with him, it is important to be able to separate out the temporal concerns of JF from everything else. This way we can see him as a human being with the same concerns and drives as the rest of us and never again as some sort of superior or enlightened man.

I have always thought it would be a great thing to teach JF how to laugh at himself when he catches his ambitious self scheming to get ahead; it would make it so much easier to be around him or to listen to what he has to say.

45. Valerie says:

John Friend defrauded Anusara teachers out of their pension and should probably be in jail for it. I con't care if yoga teachers do drugs and have sex parties, as long as they have the sense to leave their students out of it. He didn't have the sense to do that. Furthermore, I see no evidence that he has a teacher or guru and is therefore still living in his head, making it up as he goes along. I would never take on a teacher who doesn't have a teacher of his/her own. There is no honesty, humility or integrity there.

• Michelle Marchildon says:

My husband felt that above all the allegations of sexual indiscretion, witchcraft, marijuana and yoga shenanigans the worst was the pension stuff. He said once you screw with people's pensions, you cannot go any lower. But he's a finance guy, not a yogi.

46. T & J says:

John was, and is one of the best Yoga teachers in the world. He just got caught up in the clouds of fame and thought it would go on forever.
    I would go to a yoga workshop with John again. My yoga exploded when I started the practice of Anusara 10 years ago.
    I started the practice of Hatha yoga in 1977 and was getting nowhere until introduced to this practice. Why diminish something that works.
    Oh, and by the way his guru is Swami Chidvilasananda.
    Oh, and another by the way; It's Rosh Hasana…time to get a second chance. (I'm not Jewish, but I like the thought that we all deserve many second chances) Cheers….and get over yourselves.

• FREE says:

Please please please leave Gurumayi OUT OF THIS. She wants NO association with JF whatsoever. Thank you!

• John says:

With out JF I would have not known about Gurumayi; which has changed my life for the good. I will always be grateful to John for that

• FREE says:

I am very happy for you but for god's sake do we have to drag her into this mess too? John is NOT a representative of Gurumayi's teachings. Far from it. He IS a lost soul that desperately needs her guidance. He obviously has not spent enough time working on his Samskaras which is what her teachings are all about. What John has done and is still doing is an embarrassment to the path and the folks that are working so hard to clean up their act and have a pure heart.

• jane says:

Never heard of Gurumayi until just now. After googling her name, it seems she has more than enough troubles, so let's leave her out of this.

• spongebob says:

Gurumayi wuz his teacher…nuff said!

47. Yoga? says:

Wow. Those of you who think JF has done something very significant need to wake up. I find JF's method to be extremely simplistic. Since he has pretty much used up the heart melting thing he is now focusing on the Roots. Once this one is destroyed by another scandal he will probably move on to the Solar or perhaps the Crown. Sorry to be so sarcastic but JF's talent pretty much equals his followers' stupidity. How many more clues do you need to see that he has and continue to fake it?

48. [...] John Friend is (already) back. Anusara is Dead. [...]