This is For the Women Who Don’t Give a F*ck. {Adult}

Via on Aug 26, 2014

for the women.

Warning: F-Bombs ahead!

This is for the women who don’t give a fuck.

The women who are first to get naked, howl at the moon and jump into the sea.

The women who drink too much whisky, stay up too late and have sex like they mean it.

The women who know they aren’t sluts because they enjoy sex, but human beings with a healthy sexual appetite.

The women who will ask you for what they need in bed.

This is for the women who seek relentless joy; the ones who know how to laugh with their whole souls.

The women who speak to strangers because they have no fear in their hearts.

The ones who wear “night make up” in the morning or don’t own mascara.

The women who know their worth, who plant their feet and roar in their brilliance.

The women who aren’t afraid to tell a man to get the fuck out of her heart if he doesn’t honour her heart.

This is for the women who rock combat boots with frilly skirts.

The women who swear like truck drivers.

The women who hold the people who harass or wrong them with fierce accountability.

The women who flip gender norms and false limitations the bird and live to run successful companies giving “the man” a run for his name.

The ones who don’t find their success a compliment just because they have a vagina.

Women like Gloria Steinem who, when she was told, “We want a writer, not a woman. Go home,” kept writing anyway.

This is for the women who drink coffee at midnight and wine in the morning, and dare you to question it.

For the women who open doors for men and are confident enough to have doors opened for them.

Who use “no” to be in service for themselves.

Who don’t give a damn about pleasing the world, and do sweetly as they wish.

For the superheroes—the single moms who work three jobs to make it. I salute your resilient, cape-flapping, ambitious selves.

This is for the women who throw down what they love, and don’t waste time following society’s pressures to exist behind a white picket fence.

The women who create wildly, unbalanced, ferociously and in a blur at times.

The women who know how to be busy and know how to plant their feet in the earth and get grounded.

These are the women I want around me.

Relephant:

Here’s something worth giving a f**k about with a beautiful couple:
~

This is my kind of woman:

Quit Choosing Busy & Start Choosing what we Love.

This One’s for My Skinny Sisters.

Where Did the Ya-Ya Sisterhood Go?

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Editor: Emily Bartran

Photo: Author’s Own

About Janne Robinson

Janne Robinson is a poet, writer, bushwalker, idealist and animal activist currently residing in Vancouver Island. She cuts kindling with her teeth, eats Bukowski for breakfast and makes the habit of saying the word feminist as much as possible. She surfs naked, pees in the woods, and loves whiskeys that swing their hips when they walk and know what they are doing. Janne's life-work is to be transparent. She makes a living off hanging her dirty and clean laundry out for the world to see. Her mission is to give others permission to also walk and exist with the same transparency. You can connect with her on TwitterInstagram and Facebook. Please also visit and connect with her Facebook writer's page. Check out Janne's website.

1,650,458 views

188 Responses to “This is For the Women Who Don’t Give a F*ck. {Adult}”

1. Other Guest says:

Is this guy serious? I’ll shove my size 13’s up his ass. Friends, your female big foot has arrived. Give em hell!

2. Jenny says:

YES! YES! YES! “Like” x infinity!

3. Sarah says:

This kind of woman also:

-will do anything to support her family and friends, always willing to help when she can, and sometimes forgoing something important to her in order to be there for others.

-will always stand up for others being treated unfairly.

-will easily move on when she’s been hurt, and not seek to hurt that person back, though she holds them accountable.

-realizes it’s not all about her, even though she values herself highly.

Beyond the heavy makeup in the morning, the late night whiskey slinging, and combat boots, this woman has a deep sense of compassion for the world and values hard work, lots of fun, and meaningful relationships.

And besides, for every woman who doesn’t give a fuck, there’s someone who does, and that person is driving her drunk ass home and tucking her in with a glass of water beside her bed.

• jodie says:

Sarah your additions to this list make it complete. Spot on and thank u and the author for reminding me of who I am

4. Steve says:

I love women like that, so much that I married one.

5. Ronald Jones says:

I agree totaly but, I’ve met very few.

6. Coral says:

As a 59-yo woman who had the spirit of the woman who didn’t give a fuck as you describe her here, I did not always know HOW to live true to self living with the shame and guilt that was dumped on me for being “different.” This also was a great reminder, even at my age, I can still go after what I want, even if I do scare the men away because they can’t quite handle it. I just haven’t found the ones that appreciate and honor the older women for what we bring to the table. 😉

7. dutch says:

uhh is this for real? I guess the next new “feminist” movement.

8. Maya says:

:) all above is fine with moderation. And I did all of it. If you wanna hold a job then dont drink in the morning. Just saying.

• Cyryn Kidder says:

Actually, I have a great job – RN at a top-ten hospital with a major trauma center. And I usually drink in the morning. I work night shift. So sometimes I drink my whiskey just before my bedtime, sometimes shortly after I wake up in the evening. I’m also a wife and mother. And I can call a cab home and tuck myself in, too. 😉

9. Damien Bohler Damien says:

Fuck yeah. I love women like this.

I have been consistently growing myself just so I can be big enough to meet a woman like this in ALL of her fullness.

I want you.

10. Amber Roper says:

To the writer – be you a man or woman I would be happy to open a door for you, to smile knowingly as you pass by – with this writing the thank you for the gesture 😉

11. james says:

Now read this article and pretend its about men.

It will open your eyes to the type of person this article is really describing… not someone you'd want to be surrounded by…

12. Sydney says:

What an awesome read!

13. Angela Marie says:

FUCK YEAH!! THIS IS ME TO THE FUCKING TEEEEEEEEEE!! THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^ <3 I eat a bar of dark chocolate and a glass of wine for breakfast!!!!

14. Kathleen says:

I am frustrated by the idea that to be a crazy/sexy/cool woman “who doesn’t give a f*ck” you need to be able to drink with reckless abandon. I wrestled with this image for years, and it took me to a very dangerous and scary place with alcohol, endangering myself and others. Please know that some of us strong women are the stronger when we embrace life’s adventures in sobriety. Alcohol free doesn’t equal boring buzz kill.

15. kathleenwise says:

I am frustrated by the idea that to be a crazy/sexy/cool woman "who doesn't give a f*ck" you need to be able to drink with reckless abandon. I wrestled with this image for years, and it took me to a very dangerous and scary place with alcohol, endangering myself and others. Please know that some of us strong women are the stronger when we embrace life's adventures in sobriety. Alcohol free doesn't equal boring buzz kill.

16. Kat says:

This is for the women who don't give a f*ck, but aren't idiots.

This is for the women who know the line between recklessness and responsibility, who don't cross it "just because they can."

This is for the women who are full-time workers and mothers, who do everything and still manage to understand that, to function in society, you need to be sober and intelligent.

This is for the women who understand their own sexuality and are free to use it however they want, but who don't sleep with men to prove they're "wild" or "untamed."

The women who don't develop issues as a result of their perceptions of sex or self-image. The women who don't really feel the need to consider themselves in terms of sexuality all the time because they've already realized that it's far better to just be strong, independent, and intelligent. They are not simply part of a binary.

This is for the women who actually understand what feminism is, who know the difference between second wave and third wave feminism and feel free to be housewives or CEOs.

The ones who know that not speaking to strangers is the first lesson you teach children because it can be trouble. Who have the ability to evaluate and analyze the difference between a stranger and a potential friend.

This is for the women who know that being grounded means not believing in some mystical gibberish about "the magic of women," but instead see the world for what it is and use their intelligence to change it.

The ones who know that being a whiskey-drinking, foul-mouthed Earth mother is actually very damaging to feminism as it perpetuates a knee-jerk reactionism to feminist ideologies. Who know being coarse will not help you accomplish anything. Who know Gloria Steinem worked to change the system, not simply ignore it.

This is for the women who dress like adults, who know that cultural norms are not just old habits. Who can wear whatever they want, so don't choose to dress like kindergarteners.

This is for the women who work to change the inequality in society, with their appearances, thoughts, and actions. The ones who realize you don't need to be an activist to change things, who help other women make better choices so that we can all escape this inequality.

This is for the activists too, and for the housewives and CEOs and business owners. This is for women of all races and classes who may be a little tired of young, attractive white women speaking for their feminism. This is for the women who might notice that, in a list of 25 dedications, only one of them relates to family life.

This is for the women who don't have the time. The ones who can't backpack around the world and come up with pithy meditations on feminism because they are living a realer, more difficult feminism every day. The ones who still manage to be feminists while being incredibly, exhaustingly, ceaselessly busy.

The ones who work 3 jobs to support their kids, alone, and still have the bravery to tell their bosses when they're being sexually harassed or when they're being treated unequally, even though it could mean losing the job and not being able to pay the rent.

This is for the women who don't feel represented by particular ideas of feminism.

This is also for the women who write odes to women. It's a wonderful, laudable thing, but beware you know what you're saying before you say it.

17. Julie says:

Fascinating read…the "ode" itself and the many varied responses. I'm up late, working through an impending migraine, and you have all left me with some things to ponder when the inevitable happens and I find myself in a silent room with my eyes covered and my door locked! In the meantime, just because I am an old woman who loves language and the power it has, (and because I am a member in good standing of the "grammar police") I just have to mention that while I found your article to be powerful and moving, it is driving me crazy that you use the word "women" for both singular and plural reference. One person is a "woman", two or more are "women". Whew! Off to my dark room…

18. Lashonda says:

Like this!

19. Scott AU Crawley says:

This is for the woman that planned two kids with me and never wanted to be a mom. This is for the woman that cheated and flirted, while I stayed true and home with the kids. This is for the woman that violently abused me, verbally as well. This is for the woman that has never paid support, and the system that doesn’t make her because they are only after men. This is for the woman that can’t even send her kids a card on special days, but can buy $20 candles for herself. This is for the woman that put her own pleasure above her family. This is for the woman that tried to stab me in the chest with a fork, but I put my arm in the way, and my children above her by leaving her. This is for the woman that has made me the best, and only parent to my two autistic/diabetic kids their whole lives. This is to the woman that showed me raising kids from birth can be a total joy! This!! Is to the man I am, a single dad of 10 years with two autistic/diabetic kids one of which also has hypothyroidism and seizures. A man who has the most talented tongue on the planet, but whose time is for his children, not you independent women losing your values. And btw, I don’t swear 😉

20. gatoverde says:

Drinking coffee at midnight is fine if you can sleep afterwards; seems like a waste of good coffee, but it's fine with me. However, people who drink wine in the morning are more commonly known as alcoholics.

21. gatoverde says:

Also: howl at the moon? Roar in their brilliance? Was "I am woman, hear me roar" taken?

22. Sara Adams says:

I’m utterly amused to read your poem. Mind you, I’m not a feminist hating purist/elitist/chauvinist. I’m a woman. I’m 28 years old. I’m a pediatric doctor in Manila. I’m single. While I do most of the things you do mention, like drink occasionally and have a healthy sexual appetite, this whole poem is filled with diatribes about how you’ve to get naked and howl at the moon and drink wine in the morning to truly be free and independent – that anyone who doesnt CONFORM your ideas of non conformities are not women who are worth your time and you’d rather avoid. IF you want to surround yourself with alcoholics who swear constantly to get what they need and do not know how to appreciate millions of women who are NOT what you described above, who are just decent and hard working and are EMOTIONALLY invested in their family, then you’re nowhere close to understanding what feminism means. Feminism is NOT about women who dont give a fuck. Feminism is about women getting equality in all aspects that the opposite gender enjoys. Now, you can choose to swear at me, or call me a a traditional-minded regressive woman who cant look past the white picket fence. I’ve a double degree in something not quite regressive, infact, exponentially progressive field. You might be a poet and a bush walker, but be very careful or the road you’re treading. By stereotyping women in such manner, you’re doing EXACTLY the opposite of what you should be fighting for. Fight for the right causes. You’ve single handedly offended me and innumerous other women who live to create a nurturing, uplifting society. Imagine what will the world come to if EVERY WOMAN you know became a moon-howling, whiskey drinking and who are, in your own words ‘wildly UNBALANCED and in a blur’ – SINCE you openly state you ONLY want to surround yourself with such women. Also, like another reader had pointed out, I bet he/she also was super amused – what would you do, if you change the GENDER in this poem, since feminism is all about equality, what applies to one gender should apply to other also. Would you like to be surrounded by such MEN as well? Please, humor me and countless other ‘regressive’ women and respond to this. Why dont you like 90% of the female population?

23. Valley Blossom says:

I get it. I love it! I am all of these and none of these on any given day. Juicy life to you! Aloha~

24. Ash says:

Whoever said that it reads poorly if written about a man is wrong. I believe that either man or woman who lives their life wholey and full of spirit can be all of these things and be such a beautiful strong person. I would like to meet a man more like this, in touch with his needs and desires who has his feet firmly planted but enjoys the fruits of the world. There are so many restrictions and expectations on how all genders live and express themselves. This idiology cripples us daily and I am a feminist because I see it and feel it so strongly. I wish everyone could see it.

25. Sarah says:

This is for the women with abundant privilege.

26. Mandi says:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

27. salonyando says:

Loving the ode to women who just don't give a fuck. From this day on wards I am promising myself to stop giving a fuck about what anyone thinks of me and to live, really live my life.

28. Wangechi says:

Being this woman every day is an overindulgence that can not be sustained in the long term. But every woman needs to be this person (selfish) in order to continue living and doing so without hating the ones you work so hard to be kind to. Those who don't get it have never been there.

29. Sherri Rosen says:

While putting life to Janne’s poem filming in NYC last Friday May 7, this Tribe feels deeply and won’t let anyone stand in their way of independence, authenticity and aliveness!! I was fortunate to be in the film!!!

30. K.S.Pratt says:

Love! Love! Love! This should be every womans manifesto! This piece makes me want to run down the street naked carrying a blazing torch declaring ” I am woman queen of the world!”

31. Tamra says:

I'll add mine to the voices shouting Huzzah! It took years for me to figure out that being the "good wife" and "good daughter" and "good" anything was killing me. I'm still working out the hows and whys of who I am becoming, but I would gladly embrace most of what you have written, and have done a few already. To those who say it's selfish or wrong, I say for you obviously yes. But there are women who live happy, balanced, in the moment, and outrageously alive. I strive to be one every day and to show my daughter now, at the age of 8, how to be one of these women so she never subjugates who she is for what she thinks is the "good" of those who claim to love her. If that is selfish, then I'd rather be selfish than non-existent.